Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Tuesday poem #208 : Adrienne Gruber : Dämmerschlaf



birth is but a sleep and a forgetting

                                                William Wordsworth


Twilight come
find me
in the bathtub
breathing drowning
writhing trapezist
steam vultures
my head there
but not really
there
everywhere
suckled pig
naked branded
flailing blanketed
peeled cored
alone alone
window ajar
keep sweating
can’t stop
wetting
in piss vomit
oh god
my poor pussy

I don’t believe
in survival
for all women
die this babe
is mine
or monster
every inch of
my fat lacerates
iron sear
smolder
between fetal pulse
somehow I sleep
the deep of pure
loathing
my satiety spun
stomach cistern
of bile

Twilight we are high
tripping off each
other’s vibe
the way you move
your fingers
through my hair
so rad
I once sucked back
by the river
a bunny cat
hopped by
afraid I’d retch
instead spun circles
now shank cramps
thick absorption
perhaps she atrophies
canal crushed
skull dissolved
bread crumbs for
birds
I forget her
cranium when I
come to
just wrap that
old doll
in a blanket
put it to my tit
that’ll do

We don’t need drugs
to join each
other the cosmos
that terrestrial
fear is a net
catches
drunk limbs
ocean sputter
fever swallows
my climax
you tricked me
my request
don’t forget
during your rounds
don’t pass me by
every dream I have
is for you
for us
I lost control
it doesn’t matter
you never came



Adrienne Gruber is the author of two full-length poetry collections, Buoyancy Control (BookThug) and This is the Nightmare (Thistledown Press), and three chapbooks, Mimic (Leaf Press), Everything Water (Cactus Press) and Intertidal Zones (Jack Pine Press). She has been a finalist for the CBC Literary Awards, Descant’s Winston Collins Best Canadian Poem Contest and twice for ARC’s Poem of the Year Contest. Her poem Gestational Trail was awarded first prize in the Antigonish Review’s Great Blue Heron Poetry Contest in 2015 and she won the bpNichol Chapbook Award for Mimic in 2012. Adrienne lives in Vancouver with her family.

the Tuesday poem is curated by rob mclennan

No comments: